Monday, September 26, 2011

Let's start typing

Here we go.
About me etc..My Admiral (Mary) and I have a 2007 Gemini 105Mc Catamaran. That's a 33.5 foot by 14 foot queen bed, three cabin floating condo for the non-sailor in the crowd.
It's our third boat in just 8 years, we're hoping it's going to stay with us for a while. We started sailing on a friends 22 ft Catalina in September, in October I bought our first boat, a 1972 Grampian 26:
Here I am checking it out before my first sail.
Mary and I made the commute from Winchester Va to Annapolis (2 hours) almost every weekend from October through February learning to sail and making sure we liked it and it liked us. I read every book I could find on the subject.

 In February we began the search for a bigger boat, we were hooked. That lead to Patience.
Patience was not it's original name. Swallow was it's original name. After much thinking and ouija board action we decided to name the boat after what we had discovered was the one virtue that is always needed on a sailboat. Patience. For so many reasons it has fit.

A good example of why?
We bought the boat in April, gave the old boat to a local youth sailing group rather than sell it so we could get it out of our slip faster.
Not good enough?
The following March we decided to institute a 3 year plan to move from Winchester to Annapolis because we were tired of the two hour each way trips to go sailing.
Still not good enough?
We found a house that enabled us to look out the window and see our boat three months later, bought it, moved and put the other house on the market.

Three years later, we put the down payment on Patience Two  (catamaran and second boat named Patience, you getting it yet?).

Our side trip into power boats - a Crownline 250CR was named Impatience

The 10 foot dinghy I built from plans - um, Lil Patience
The Rigid Inflatable Dinghy, we refer to it as Blown Patience

I'll leave you with that for now - I see at least 5 kts of wind out my office window. Time to play hooky with a new sailor.




No comments:

Post a Comment