Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Busy boat show weekend.

 Generally, I don't intend this blog to be about my day to day stuff. No one wants to know how many cups of coffee I had, or their effect on my bowels. Every once is a while, stuff happens I want to write about.

Between out of town guest and the boat show it's been a busy couple of days, adding in the worlds largest in the water sail boat show on top of that and even a five day weekend can't fit it all.

We were graced with a visit from Cidnie of Ceol Mor fame  coming up from Texas to visit friends and look at some boats. Once she gets home (she's driving) I'll steal some pictures and post them here - with her permission.
I'm not a good photographer in that usually I don't even think to take a picture. Consequently I don't have even a single picture of her :( from the visit.

While he wasn't staying with us our GOOD friend Alex was also visiting from Portugal. Alex is the owner and operator of Giuletta, a newly converted Del Conde 1200 - converted to out right racing.


He was wonderful enough to invite us to sail his boat with him from his hometown in Cascais Portugal around to the Algarve area in June 2009. It was some valuable blue water-ish 160 miles off shore sailing experience for both Mary and I. He then hosted us for an additional week while we did the tourist thing in southern Portugal and Lisbon.
What a world we live in. We had never met him until he picked us up at the airport.

Alex was nice enough to let us hoist him up my mast so he could check out my windex (the thingee that points out where the wind is coming from). He fixed a 3.5 year old problem with a simple poke at a gasket. I've really got to get a mast climber.
After doing that we got to see the results of his visit, he was dropping off a custom made assymetrical spinnaker for my friend Craig, here's Craigs boat spanking mine on the Magothy river in a 3 kts breeze. That one sail at 800 square feet is more than the total my boat can fly:



This is the only view I got of it, from behind.

Since I mentioned the boat show, let me leave you with this image. A 20 something foot pilot house sailboat from ComPac. Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

No comments:

Post a Comment