Monday, October 3, 2011

Sunday follies

I"m a Patriots fan, and they don't get much coverage here in Redskin and Raven fan territory - so my Sunday afternoons in the fall are pretty much free.
Just to throw in the odd controversial statement (otherwise why blog right?) - there is only one watchable American sport, and it's played with a oblong ball in the winter. I don't do sports with round balls or pucks.

Back to the topic at hand, free Sundays. I could be out having fun like some of my friends:


But I wasn't invited.

It seems he likes his girlfriend better than me.



I could be out mowing grass and raking leaves, but I tend to do that on week days when there's nothing else to do. I don't like doing 'chores' on a day off and I get no enjoyment whatsoever from a well tended lawn. It's anti-American, I know, but there it is.
This is after the tree fell, not the way my yard looks normally, but you can get the 'picture'.

So instead what's a guy to do?
Stick his head into a 1969 Coronado 25's greasy encrusted motor well and pull out  'stuff', empty a few lockers, pull a few wires and hook up a few circuits?

Sure, I'm in.

 One motor well, 3 gas tanks. One big explosion potential :)

C25's have a motor well, meaning an enclosed space to hang a outboard motor, the 'white' device you see in the picture to the left is a 'plug' that covers the opening that an outboard would normally hang through.

 Tanks removed, you can see a wooden board to the right, that's a add on because the supports and structure that the well outboard hands on gave out many years ago and a previous owner, rather than repair it, decided to put a transom outboard mount on the boat.  Note that the board isn't doing so well either (check the bolts).

Lets have a little fun while we are here. What's worse than house wiring and wire nuts on a boat?
<-----------
Two house wires with wire nuts on a boat -------->

Patience fans, these wires did not survive the day on board.

The motor well, as is empty. A major project is to re-build the supports and such so we can move the outboard down here where it belongs but well worth the effort. Moving it will make it quieter and give the boat a cleaner "look", put the weight where it was designed to be and will include remote throttle connections etc, all of which beats the heck out of hanging over the stern when motoring.

The hatch on the stern is where the motor well is. It's pretty obvious that my Suzuki 8hp is not where one is designed to be. 60 pounds hanging here (and thrusting against the transom here, which is not 'structural') is not a good thing.

Anyway, that's later, and for after Marc gets his SeaKing outboard running.


We got every one of his circuits run, traced the wires to the v-berth, navigation lights, water, etc.. and finished powering up everything except his bilge pump and water pump - jury is still out on where those will go. On the way his cockpit locker got emptied and scrubbed out (a lot of wires ran through it) and his as designed battery locker (not the one pictured previously, a PO moved it) was emptied, de-spaghettied and generally made reasonable. No pictures because the "as is" still needs a bit of tidying up and scrubbing. You'll have to trust me, it's not looking like a wild man played pull my finger in there anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment